Saturday, June 11, 2011

How to Make a Natural Bug Repellent

This Spring has been notoriously wet, which is a great habitat for mosquitos and ticks to play around in... but makes humans hesitant to spend as much time outdoors because of the increased risk of getting bit, or worse - getting a parasite carried disease.  I have never personally heard of so many people having ticks and/or getting Lyme disease before this year; so far approximately 6 people I know have Lyme disease and several more have pulled ticks off of themselves - a co-worker also told me that her doctor said that at least one person has come in every single day to get tested, which is much more than normal.


That being said, I LOVE spending time outdoors and do not feel like sacrificing that - but if you've read my earlier posts you'll know that I've also had my fair share of parasites for this year (or perhaps for many years I would hope).  I am very much against using DEET because it is extremely unnatural, and full of harmful chemicals, which  have negative side effects including rashes, skin irritation, numb or burning lips, nausea, headaches, dizziness and difficulty concentrating.  Instead of buying a more expensive natural/organic bug repellent, I decided I would make my own SUPER all-in-one natural mosquito/tick repellent! Not only does this smell great, but none of the ingredients are harmful for you or the environment.






Ingredients:
1/4 cup Witch Hazel
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
5-10 drops Eucalyptus essential oil (good for ticks)
5-10 drops Lemongrass essential oil (good for keeping mosquitos away)
5-10 drops Citronella essential oil (good for keeping mosquitos away)
5-10 drops Cinnamon essential oil (more powerful than DEET)
5-10 drops Peppermint essential oil (good for black flies)


*You can also use vegetable oil, jojoba oil, rubbing alcohol, or vodka and water as your carrier (instead of witch hazel and apple cider vinegar).
*Other good essential oils are Rose Geranium, Lavender, Neem, Thyme, and many more.


Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Pour over sink, or ideally through a funnel, into tinted spray bottles (I used two 2 oz. spray bottles).
3. Apply liberally while enjoying the great outdoors!


*I think another neat way to utilize these oils for bug repellent would also be to include them in a homemade body lotion that is applied daily, although that may ware off over time and we want to be sure no one else gets bitten by any nasty bugs! - so, both a lotion and a spray may be a good route... just to play it super safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment