Saturday, June 4, 2011

How to Make Violet Syrup

A few weeks ago a co-worker of mine at GreenStar posted a few links on how to make violet syrup and jam... I was clearly instantly hooked on harvesting my own violets and trying out these delicious sounding treats!  I have never made jam before, but luckily my mother is quite well-versed in this practice and I am pretty good with winging it on food related things.  My first step in this project was to find and harvest a good amount of wild violets (I harvested 2 pressed cups and my mother harvested 2/3 pressed cup).  Being that my schedule and the rainy weather did not permit for me to harvest any flowers in Ithaca while they were still in season, it was fortunate that I had to go home last weekend for a bridal shower for my brother's fiance - as Western New York is usually a couple weeks behind Ithaca in seasons and my parents still had a lot of violets on their property.  These flowers are extremely tiny and grow low to the ground; it took me about 2-3 hours to harvest (I took a few water/shade breaks because the sun was very intense that day).  I only harvested the flowers - no stems.


Wild violets

Picking violet flowers



After hours of harvesting! (these are very tiny flowers and take quite a long time to accumulate a decent amount)


Ingredients:
1 pressed cup violets
1 cup boiling water
2 cups raw cane sugar
1/2 fresh lemon juice

Directions:
1. Harvest 1 pressed cup violets
2. Place violets in a mason jar and steep with boiling water for about 24 hours - try to do this step as soon after harvesting as possible... I waited a couple days due to travel/scheduling issues and my violet essence turned brown instead of the beautiful blueish/purple from the recipe I followed: http://herbanlifestyle.wordpress.com/2009/04/13/how-to-make-violet-syrup/
3. Strain out violet blossoms and compost.
4. Put the strained liquid, fresh lemon juice, and raw cane sugar into a saucepan and boil on low heat for about 10 minutes.  Stir often.
5. While the syrup is on the stove get your canning jar(s) ready by washing and soaking in boiling water.
6.  Transfer the syrup into the canning jar(s), clean/dry the brim of the jar, put lids on tight (turning 1/4 inch back) and flip jar upside down to sit until cool.  As this was my first experience canning I originally used old canning lids, resulting in syrup leaking out of the jars when I turned them upside down - luckily I had new lids I sterilized quickly and used with a much less messy success!


There are many health benefits that accompany consuming violets: 
In the Middle Ages, the flower was quite extensively used in medicine. A powder produced from the dried petals and taken in water was used to counteract epilepsy, quinsy, pleurisy, jaundice and sleeplessness. A poultice of flowers and leaves was applied to the forehead to relieve headaches. The expressed juice, which forms a slightly laxative syrup, was prescribed for children. (http://www.helium.com/items/1004888-benefits-of-eating-violets) 
The leaf and flower have been used for thousands of years by millions of people as an antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic agent.  Violets have been used to improve acne, anger, asthma, bronchitis, colds, eczema, fever, fibrocystic breast disease, grief, headache, heartbreak, lymphatic congestion, mastitis, mumps, psoriasis, scurvy, sore throat, ulcers, urinary tract infection, varicose veins, and whooping cough. Apply a cloth soaked in violet leaf and/or flower tea to the back of the neck to treat headaches. The flowers are eaten as a breath freshener. Violet leaves and flowers contain beta-carotene, vitamin C, salicylates, [and] the flavonoid rutin... (http://www.care2.com/greenliving/a-vision-of-violets-with-brigitte-mars.html)
I'm excited to incorporate this in my cooking, baking, and especially to try it in mixed drinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment